I'm not entirely sure why this would need to be done outside of Java... Can't we already bind to an infinate number of IP addresses? If we pick IPaddress to bind to that aren't taken, such as 172.100.100.* we should
be able to bind to those without an issue.

I agree with the rest of my post, and think that Hamachi-style functionality would be THE killer app, but I don't know what I was smoking when I wrote that part. Of course we would need some sort of .lib per-system to bind to IP addresses. It's trivial to do, and we're already using .libs for native acceleration. I think it's acceptable, considering if it's not there, or can't load, freenet still works, the Hamachi sharing just doesn't.

Please consider it. I know implementing a VPN-style connection is a pain, but since we ALREADY have connections to those people that span NATs, it's not as hard as it otherwise would be. Doing so will ENSURE darknet is VERY popular- There are lots of Filesharing/IM apps- There aren't any OSS which do this (easily).

-Colin

There are OSS apps that do this, it's just that it's difficult to set up
as what you are doing is creating a VPN. That would be extremely
difficult to do over Java.

However, the idea of sharing services out to your darknet peers is
possible, if it is sufficiently useful. Certainly exposing samba shares
or other TCP-based services is possible (if they are allowed to
localhost or LAN already).

As far as UDP-based games go, isn't it always going to perform better to connect directly to the IP address of your friend? Admittedly you have to password the server, and find their IP address... I wonder if there's something in the idea of dyndns over freenet (as opposed to ARKs; make toad.freenet resolve via a local lookup of the ARK or the connection to toad's current IP address)... we could have the node insert (and keep up
to date) lines for your darknet neighbours in hosts.txt. :)

It would be possible to tunnel generically as with a VPN, and make it
look like a LAN. However it would be very difficult (it would definitely
require external non-java code, and on windows that would have to be
nasty low level code probably requiring the DDK; on linux it might require
direct connections. In exchange it solves all the authentication problems.

Anyone have any more ideas for darknet value-add?