Matthew Toseland wrote:
> We could implement darknet sneakernet connections by exchanging USB sticks.
> E.g. if you meet somebody every day (e.g. a coworker), you could exchange
> (cheap) 8G sticks, plug them in overnight, and then do the same again the
> next day. This would produce approx 100K/sec (1Mbps) each way for each person
> you did it with.

The speed is fine, but what about the latency? If a request travelled
for five hops the round-trip time would be ten days. We'd have to
reconsider things like redirects and splitfiles to minimise the number
of round trips.

> The main technical prerequisite is
> token passing load management, unless we implement a completely different
> load management system for it.

Load management is hardly the biggest stumbling block. For example, with
a round-trip time of ten days and a bandwidth of 8 GB per peer per day
you're going to have a massive number of outstanding requests - far more
than you can hold in RAM.

> I am of the view that these networks are mutually
> complementary and therefore should talk to each other: Darknet over UDP isn't
> safe in hostile environments, and off-grid darknets a) work much better if
> parts of them are online (certainly we could expect some covert wireless
> links in places, but being able to link to a functional on-grid darknet would
> surely be a benefit; long links are going to be rare on a pure off-grid
> darknet), and b) would be much easier to bootstrap from a working on-grid
> darknet.

It might be a good idea for the sneakernet to support internet links,
but I'm not sure it's a good idea for sneakernet requests to take
opportunistic shortcuts across Freenet. They can't just be transformed
into Freenet requests when they cross into Freenet and transformed back
when they cross back: if there are any sneakernet links on the path then
the round-trip time will be on the order of days rather than seconds, so
the whole path needs to use appropriate timeouts and store the pending
request on disk rather than in RAM. That means the Freenet nodes on the
path need a sneakernet implementation even if they don't have any
sneakernet links.

Cheers,
Michael