On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Toseland
>  >> 2. Most or all Freenet apps assume a few seconds latency on requests
>  >> (Frost, Fproxy, etc), yet the latency with the sneakernet would be
>  >> measured in days.  Freenet's existing apps would be useless here.
>  >
>  > Not true IMHO. A lot of existing Freenet apps deal with long term requests,
>  > which would work very nicely with sneakernet.
>
>  Such as?  FMS is pretty slow even with multi-second requests, do you
>  really think it would be useful with multi-day requests?  I can't
>  think of a single Freenet app that would be useful over a transport
>  with multi-day latencies, it would be insane.

I'm pretty sure FMS is slow because it has a list of a few hundred
identities to poll for messages, and it only polls 10-20 at a time.
On a sneakernet you'd send all the poll requests at once.  There's no
reason the delay on receiving a message couldn't be roughly the
one-way latency of the path.

Downloading any sort of large media file can take days on Freenet
*right now*.  People still do it.  What do I care whether the 4 day
download delay is routing delay or bandwidth limit?

The major change needed would be a way to request not the specific SSK
block, but the SSK, whatever CHK it happens to redirect to, and any
CHK blocks needed to decode the result -- plus a way to prevent that
being a DoS attack (tit-for-tat?).

Evan Daniel