On Monday 19 May 2008 18:02, Julien Cornuwel wrote:
> Matthew Toseland a écrit :
>
> > Thoughts? IMHO backups are an important feature, and they'd probably have
> > be hot backups for our usage... but then, not corrupting on running out of
> > disk space is important too!
>
> I just rewrote the WoT plugin to use db4o and I must say I like it. My
> code is much cleaner and I can focus on my classes without worrying
> about the database schema. Because requests are a must-have for my use,
> I don't think I can use perst :/

Another worry with db4o: a lot of configuration needs to be done on the Db4o
object, before creating the ObjectContainer. Once we have "untrusted
plugins", we will need to provide an indirection layer for plugins to call
the config settings they need, e.g. creating indexes, while not breaking the
node (so we will need to limit what classes etc they can access), before
creating an ObjectContainer. We will also have to prevent untrusted plugins
from accessing the static methods on Db4o. This is however a common problem
for untrusted plugins: We don't have much in the way of static methods in our
code, but e.g. the java service wrapper has plenty.

So it's not a showstopper, just something to be careful of.