Ed Tomlinson wrote:
>> Do we need to store the location for each key? (so that we can update
>> the average location when the key is removed)
>> Maybe a running average is just good enough?
>> Or just store an approximated location, not the actual value?
>
> A salted location would work as long as the salt had a mean of 0 and was not
> all that large (eg. less that the routingMissDistance value).

I believe the salt is added before hashing, so the salted-and-hashed key
is effectively random WRT to original key.

> I this case, I think we _will_ get more meanfull results from a true average.

I agree. Storing the location as a double (which is what we're going to
convert it into anyway, so no point storing the full key) only requires
an extra 8 bytes per record, right?

Cheers,
Michael