On Thu, 07 May 2009 16:29:19 -0600 Matthew Toseland
<t...@amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
>On Thursday 07 May 2009 23:27:44 Matthew Toseland wrote:
>> On Thursday 07 May 2009 18:10:06 Matthew Toseland wrote:
>> >
>https://checksums.freenetproject.org/latest/FreenetInstaller.exe
>> >
>> > This should be Vista-compatible. It is entirely Zero3's work.
>Please test
>it
>> > before we release it to all Windows users! In particular,
>testing on Vista
>> > and Windows 7 would be very helpful (since the existing
>installer doesn't
>> > work on these platforms). Thanks!
>> >
>> I have updated the executable:
>> - Bundled update.cmd, with juiceman's patch applied.
>> - Various minor fixes.
>
>The new length is 8849746 bytes.

Here is my adventure with trying to install Freenet on Vista 64 bit
(I'm new to this OS). It is a bit repetitive but better than
nothing I imagine.

Notes and such:

Installing as an administrator.

Idea: Progress indicator for both freenet-stable-latest.jar and
freenet-ext.jar inside IzPack. They took quite some time to
download this iteration and a new user may give up. If not a
progress indicator, possibly an idea of how large the file is so
the user knows it may be awhile.

Failure same as reported to bugtracker...

Registering .fref file extension
"Online installation mode"
Downloading update.cmd
Downloading the Opennet seednode file
Setting up plugins
        -JSTUN
        -UPnP
        -XMLLibrarian
        -KeyExplorer
        -ThawIndexBrowser
Downloading freenet-stable-latest.jar
Downloading freenet-ext.jar
Detecting tcp port availability
Setting fproxy port to 8888
Building wrapper.conf
Copying install_service.bat
Copying remove_service.bat
Copying start.cmd
Copying stop.cmd
Installing the wrapper
        - Creating a user for freenet
Removing old freenet user
Creating new freenet user
Setting password expiry
Writing password to file temporarily to install service
        - Hiding the freenet user from the login screen
        - Tweaking the permissions of the freenet user
        - Changing file permissions
        - Registering Freenet as a system service
Running wrapper on wrapper.conf
Running wrapper again on wrapper.conf
wrapper  | Freenet 0.7 darknet-8888 installed.
        - Start the node up
The Freenet 0.7 darknet-8888 service is starting.
The Freenet 0.7 darknet-8888 service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.

Starting browser
All done, please click Next

Possible windows defender issue? Trying again with it disabled.

Strange, 2nd time it thinks I do not have java installed. To work
around I ran java.exe from the command line and then immediately
ran the

installer. This only worked once and only once, see further down.

Another thought: In addition to "Online installation mode", how
about a mode for moving a pre-existing node to an new (virgin)
windows OS. (creates new user, permission, etc, but moves existing
configs and datastore)

Pffft, failed again as above....

ahh, mklink java.exe c:\windows\system32\java.exe

Ok, try again:

1. Install as administrator
2. after IzPack pack install finishes (13/13) drop to cmd as admin
and add symbolic link in ./bin "mklink java.exe
c:\windows\system32\java.exe"
3. Click next in installer.
4. Installer finished w/o errors, click next.
5. Oops, next window is empty, clicking next does nothing.
6. Click Quit. (No shortcuts/start menu items built for Freenet)
7. Freenet first time wizard starts
8. Work through installer, then I shut down node from main page.

Try again:
1. Install as administrator
2. Installer does not see java as installed.
3. Run the java installer, New window on installer with options for
shortcuts etc. (not seen in earlier tries, progress?)
4. Change default directory
5. Does not like my existing node, so much for seeing if I could
upgrading in place. :)
6. Point to empty directory.
7. Fails to start system service as above, again.

Try again:
1. Uninstall java(s) and now uninstall Freenet as it now had menus
and such. This works! lol
2. Install as administrator
3. Install java. WTF? current user no longer sees java. Perhaps
only for freenet? Continue install...
4. Install says it finished
5. First time installer starts
6. Finished and working had I any 'friends' yet.

Spoke too soon, the java installed via the Freenet installer
installs 32 bit java in %windir%\syswow64 as well as "Program Files
(x86)\Java\jre6\bin".

Try yet again:
1. install 64 bit java
2. ln them (mklink java.exe ..\system32\java.exe)
3. Install freenet as administrator
4. Again, fails to see java.....
5. Ok, gonna try installing java from freenet installer, then
remove this version of java after install.
6. fails to seee java, but wait, trying #2 again after install...
7. hmm, it tried to start, but says freenet script lost control of
the service.
8. Reboot PC, service starts ok. Node is up. I can start/stop at
will.

Ok, seems toad has updated the installer and/or scripts. Continuing
with newer version.
- ----------------
1. 64 bit java installed.
2. Running newer Freenet installer? Appears to be same...nope it's
new, verified file size.
3. fails to see java
4. Install java via freenet installer (again this is the 32 bit
version, not 64)
5. Freenet installs to completion.

So, if you want both 32/64 bit versions of java this seems to work,
but 64 bit by itself takes a bit more tweaking with symbolic links.
Better way would be for the installer to see the existing 64 bit
java me thinks.

--
You can take it with you! Click here for a luxurious new motor home and travel
in style!

http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqZeAnW2DI7dwx52C03j4fH11KWl7vb4cTmiw5F1NcMl8Qtf28fppm/