On Sunday 11 October 2009 21:39:48 Juiceman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Clément <cvol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This is logical.

> >> Or the functionality that they will commonly want to use, with the rest
> >>  being provided by third party tools etc?
> >
> > Sure

> >> Freenet is complicated, period. Many important things about Freenet are
> >>  hard to safely simplify. :(
> >
> > Well, we should find out which things are hard to simplify : are they
> > essential to use Freenet ?
>
> I started coding a "help" servlet for Freenet, accessible if you go to
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/help
> but became discouraged when I had to start worrying about licensing
> issues with copy pasting text from the various Freenet wikis.  My
> original idea was to use the l10n language files to contain the
> information and allow translation, but it is an ugly kludge and would
> only allow translation of English to other languages keeping the exact
> same formatting and wouldn't allow other languages to be expanded
> beyond without editing the code of Freenet itself and not just a text
> file.
>
> It was my desire that the information be accessible even if a node
> couldn't connect or was in a secluded darknet that couldn't reach a
> Freesite in the main network.

It's clearly the way to go. The thing is, I'm not sure we should document
Freenet right now if we plan to change the UI. Btw, as Evan said in another
thread, we should also think of all new terms we use in the UI, and ask
ourselves if they're self explanatory or if there is a better term for that
(dunno who did this, but I think someone already proposed that for some
things). If we manage to reduce the number of complex terms, we also reduce
the size of the help.

So, first thing first : do we agree that the UI need reworking (I'm not saying
we should start over of course, but it may involve a lot of work). If so, we
should ask the users what they don't like about the current one (after all, if
almost all users are ok with it, why change it....), and for that we should
find a way to do that : if we ask only on user on fms, it will be biased,
because it needs some technical skills to have it up and running.

Maybe the best thing would be to have a poll displayed on Freenet startup for
a given version (or more, dunno...). It won't be anonymous (not in the freenet
way I mean) since it would require a spam protection we don't have atm. So,
what I propose is that we ask the user if he is okay helping us improving
Freenet, if yes, we display the poll. As an option, but I don't see why now,
we could also grad usage statistics, with the agreement of the user of course.
But that's out of the scope for now.
So, basically, as any other software who do that, we upload the results on the
freenet server, with no identification of course. Would that be ok ?

If so, we just need to know what question we will ask.
First we need to determine how often they use the software, why they use it
mostly, if they're fine about the current ui, if they have the feeling that
freenet is too complex, and also an open question like "what would you do to
improve freenet usability". I never did that before, so I don't really know
what else to ask, but I'm sure that with some time and some help, we'll find
more ;)