Clément пишет:
> [...]
>> thread, we should also think of all new terms we use in the UI, and ask
>> ourselves if they're self explanatory or if there is a better term for that
>> (dunno who did this, but I think someone already proposed that for some
>> things). If we manage to reduce the number of complex terms, we also reduce
>> the size of the help.
>>
>> So, first thing first : do we agree that the UI need reworking (I'm not
>>  saying we should start over of course, but it may involve a lot of work).
>>  If so, we should ask the users what they don't like about the current one
>>  (after all, if almost all users are ok with it, why change it....), and
>>  for that we should find a way to do that : if we ask only on user on fms,
>>  it will be biased, because it needs some technical skills to have it up
>>  and running.
>>
>> Maybe the best thing would be to have a poll displayed on Freenet startup
>>  for a given version (or more, dunno...). It won't be anonymous (not in the
>>  freenet way I mean) since it would require a spam protection we don't have
>>  atm. So, what I propose is that we ask the user if he is okay helping us
>>  improving Freenet, if yes, we display the poll. As an option, but I don't
>>  see why now, we could also grad usage statistics, with the agreement of
>>  the user of course. But that's out of the scope for now.
>> So, basically, as any other software who do that, we upload the results on
>>  the freenet server, with no identification of course. Would that be ok ?
>>
>> If so, we just need to know what question we will ask.
>> First we need to determine how often they use the software, why they use it
>> mostly, if they're fine about the current ui, if they have the feeling that
>> freenet is too complex, and also an open question like "what would you do
>>  to improve freenet usability". I never did that before, so I don't really
>>  know what else to ask, but I'm sure that with some time and some help,
>>  we'll find more ;)
>>
> Ok, I just got some times, and came up with the following questions. Of
> course, comments are very welcome (and please, don't give attention to
> wording, I'm really tired....)!
>
> 1) How often is your node running? // We don't really need this one for the
> UI, but I though it could be useful to know
> o 24/7 of course!
> o 70-90%
> o 50-70%
> o 25-50%
> o 0-25%
>
> 2) How often do you *use* Freenet? // This one is important however
> o Everyday
> o Several times in a week
> o Several times in a month
> o Several times in a year
> o Never
>
> 3) Would you say that Freenet is complicated to use?
> o Yes
> o No
> If you want to give some details : .........
>
> 4) Do you use 3rd party software (like FMS, Frost, ...)?

It may sound strange, but i believe you should have "Don't know" option here.
For many beginning users the distinction between "Freenet" and "3rd party
software using freenet" is quite tricky to understand.

                  - Volodya

> 5) What is your primary use of Freenet?
> o Browse freesite
> o Download/Upload files
> o Talk on discussion boards
> o All of the above
>
> 6) Do you use the search function to search freesites?
> o Yes
> o No : why? ............ (you may leave a blank here)
>
> 7) Did you know there was a search function?
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 8) Would you say you feel you're protected when using Freenet?
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 9) Did you change the default security options?
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 10) Did you understand the security options and the risks related?
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 11) What browser do you use when you're browsing freesites?
> o Internet Explorer
> o Mozilla Firefox
> o Google Chrome (or chromium)
> o Safari
> o Other: you may want to specify: ....
>
> 12) Do you use the incognito (or private) mode of your browser (if it has
> one)?
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 13) Do you take any extra measure about your anonymity when inserting things
> into Freenet? (for instance changing your writing style, not mentioning
> anything of your real life, changing your html coding style, ...)
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 14) Would you be interested if Freenet provides you some advice about the
> above question? (really needs rewording...)
> o Yes
> o No
>
> 15) If you had to give a grade to the current Freenet UI, which one would it
> be?
> .... (from 0 (meaning very bad) to 10 (meaning very good)
>
> 16) Why? What would *you* change to improve it? What do *you* like about it?
>
> We could also ask questions about friends : how many user have friends, do
> they feel good with the current UI, what would they change, ....
>
>>> A better way I now believe would be to ship html files as part of the
>>> node, with the node loading the local pages like it was a Freesite,
>>> only I don't know how to code that.  It also doesn't answer my
>>> licensing questions.

http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast
http://www.freedomporn.org/    Freedom Porn, anarchist and activist smut

  "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin