Hey Michael,

We definitely need your help.  Can you let us know what kind of tools /
languages you are familiar with?

Freenet is implemented in Java, and our web interface is a home-grown
template-based framework we call "fproxy".  Our code is hosted on Github, so
a familiarity with Git will be useful.

A good way to communicate with the dev team in realtime is to join the IRC
channel #freenet on irc.freenode.net.  Matthew "Toad" Toseland is our one
full-time developer, and is most familiar with the codebase, but there are
others.

My personal opinion is that what we really need is a ground-up redesign of
our UI, possibly replacing fproxy with a specialized web framework, maybe
GWT, Play Framework, Wicket, or something else.  I've been toying with Play
recently, and its fairly impressive.  I've also advocated for GWT, but a lot
of people were concerned about that because it will only work if the browser
supports Javascript.

Of course, replacing Freenet's entire UI is a daunting task, and I'd
understand if you didn't have the stomach for that.

Less ambitious would be to do some usability testing to identify and fix the
most serious usability problems with our current UI.

You can see the current code that pertains to the web UI here:

https://github.com/freenet/fred-official/tree/master/src/freenet/clients/http

I haven't touched the code in quite a while so I'll need to leave it to
others to provide guidance, but its mostly based around "Toadlets":

https://github.com/freenet/fred-official/blob/master/src/freenet/clients/http/Toadlet.java

Freenet's general style is that people need to be quite self-motivated due
to the decentralized nature of our development process.  You really need to
actively seek out areas you can contribute, then just announce what you
intend to do, and do it.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if there is anything further I
can do to help you to help Freenet :-)

Ian.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Michael Niles <free...@blindmikey.com>wrote:

> Hey, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but hopefully this gets seen.
>
> I'm a front-end developer/designer and read that Freenet might be looking
> for UI/UX designers, and am very interested in helping this movement.
>
> Let me know how best I can be of service.
> -Michael

Ian Clarke
Founder, The Freenet Project
Email: i...@freenetproject.org