On Friday 21 January 2011 21:50:16 Michael Niles wrote:
> Hello Ian,

Welcome Michael! Let me know if there's anything specific you need.

> I'm familiar with front-end languages, HTML/CSS/JS/PHP, am learning OOPHP
> and MVC frameworks, and have a lot of experience in designing for the web. I
> am gaining a familiarity with GIT.

PHP is more or less out of the question, but whatever we do will need JS on the
front end. There is a very strong view in the community that it will need to
function both with and without JS.

> I took a look at the Play Framework and Wicket - having no previous
> experience in Java, Play is nice as it's very similar to OOPHP frameworks
> like CodeIgniter.
>
> I recognize that I'm coming from a complete novice standpoint and no
> familiarity with the Freenet codebase, however I think that redesigning the
> interface to something a little more attractive and welcoming, while
> improving user orientation would help drive more attention and long-term
> users to Freenet.
>
> Personally I think I'd be more effective on the design front than
> developement; working on bringing UI/UX concepts to the table. If this is of
> interest, I'll begin getting my hands dirty.

You may want to talk to Dieppe who has done some work in the same area.

Working on the pure design / mockup level is very valuable.

Producing actual HTML/CSS that looks better is even more valuable, and can
likely be slotted in without requiring huge amounts of work by us on the
backend.

JS-based interactivity is IMHO necessary, and brings up some more difficult
issues such as frameworks and fallbacks - but there are a thousand ways to deal
with that; a PHP-based working mockup, for instance, could probably be adapted
for our usage without huge difficulties. Go ahead and build one if that's
what's easiest for you.