On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM, David ‘Bombe’ Roden <bo...@pterodactylus.net
> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> > Also we could have many "streams" of test builds, by different
> developers,
>
> > and thus let them release whatever they want to without it being
>
> > officially endorsed, but the users still be able to use the update.sh
>
> > <name> / update.cmd <name> conveniently.
>
> That would require quite some trickery in the update scripts, especially
> in the Windows version of it, I guess.

Not really.  Just need to make the download path a variable that is set at
the beginning of the script.  I could do the Windows script in less than an
hour once decided how the files are named and where they are kept.

>  > True. Eventually we need real builds. Right now me, Ian and Nextgens
> could
>
> > do a release (in some cases with significant effort). It may be that
>
> > others should be added to that list.
>
> Uhm… yes. One person on that list doesn’t have the time to do it anymore,
> and the other two persons are… who are they, anyway? Ian has even less time
> than you do, and he’s been completely detached from Freenet development for
> years now; Nextgens at least sometimes drops by and tells us our crypto
> sucks. :)
>
>  > It's all automated, but it's a question of what level of automation is
>
> > sufficiently secure. A build MUST be SIGNED by a specific developer, and
>
> > his signing keys must be encrypted. So I don't think release-on-commit is
>
> > a good idea. However there is a set of scripts that allows a developer to
>
> > release a build reasonably easily - provided he has the secret keys and
>
> > SSH access to freenetproject.org.
>
> I didn’t necessarily mean non-interactive server-side automation. Building
> and signing could happen locally but script-supported.
>
>  > Big features should of course be on feature branches. Beyond that, it
> makes
>
> > sense to have people who can build test-builds who can't actually do a
>
> > release, and they should have their own repositories.
>
> The way I see it test builds are releases as well; they just have to be
> requested manually from those users that like to live on the bleeding edge.
> Other than that I don’t see any distinction, especially not on their
> “officialness.”
>
>  Greetings,
>
>  David
>
> --
>
> David ‘Bombe’ Roden <bo...@pterodactylus.net>

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death,
your right to say it. - Voltaire
Those who would give up Liberty, to purchase temporary Safety, deserve
neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin