On 04/28/2012 06:56 PM, Zlatin Balevsky wrote:
> In Gnutella we observed that long-lived nodes tend to be better
> connected and that they also cluster with other high-uptime nodes.
> If the same is true for Freenet it's a good idea to keep an eye for
> side effects as you tweak the behavior.

Good to know - I'll look for that. Are there any particular effects
you had in mind? The Metropolis-Hastings correction in the new probes
should produce a fairly uniform distribution of endpoints despite
clustering and well-connected nodes, but explicitly simulating the
effects of high uptime could be helpful.

It occurs to me that the probe requests I hope to depreciate allow
reconstructing the actual network topology - perhaps we could run
simulations on top of it? The new probe requests are currently planned
to not report degrees or link length distributions, [1] which as far
as I can tell would mean no way to reconstruct the network as measured
in simulation. Does it seem reasonable to omit the ability to gather
such information?

On 04/28/2012 03:51 PM, Michael Grube wrote:
> Are you assuming opennet, darknet, a mix?

The simulation generates the graph in a way which effectively sort of
assumes darknet: it assigns locations, then iterates over the network
and connects nodes based on link length. [2] [3] I'm working under the
assumption that when using the same degree distribution as the network
is measured to have this is an accurate enough approximation. I will
include these and similar plots in this week's progress report.

My understanding is that a more thorough simulation of darknet would
randomly assign locations and reassign them with the location-swapping
algorithm used in Fred. I think simulating opennet would be more work
both to implement and to run, as it would mean implementing
path-folding and randomly assigning locations and connections.

[1] https://bugs.freenetproject.org/view.php?id=3568
[2]
https://github.com/Thynix/routing-simulator/blob/73dfd6c94156cef35815ac7de2fcfa934385ccae/Graph.java#L139
[3]