On Monday 22 Jul 2013 17:22:40 Robert Hailey wrote:

> On 2013/07/22 (Jul), at 9:32 AM, Matthew Toseland wrote:
>
> > ...almost everyone argues that darknet is impossible.
>
> I wonder if this is really b/c "hermits don't have friends", or if there is
> something between the theory and practice for which we have not accounted.
>
> I have put much thought into a Ronja-like FSO p2p network as of late; and it
> occurs to me that there may be enough implicit trust with whomever you make a
> FSO link with to qualify as a darknet peer (and the data is being transmitted
> out-of-band wrt the internet).
>
> It's probably just wishful thinking, but if such devices became popular for
> any reason (wireless bridge, sharing internet connections, backup internet,
> etc), you might be able to see an effect where the darknet would "build
> itself" as local networks begin to have multiple FSO links.

The main problem with that sort of thing is you need some long links, and that
tends to be hierarchical, expensive, and owned by somebody who is vulnerable to
censorship demands. The secondary problem is that putting hardware on the roof
is expensive for most people, and you need a whole set of directional links
(whether optical or wifi), which will need to change as the network evolves. I
agree in principle it's the sort of dream that I'd like to support though. Like
Freenet. :)