On Tuesday 30 Jul 2013 23:38:09 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 05:05 PM, Robert Hailey wrote:
> > On 2013/07/30 (Jul), at 3:40 PM, Steve Dougherty wrote:
> > I'm sure Tor does something similar, it would be interesting to know
> > how Tor nodes bootstrap.
>
> As far as I understand it tor bootstrapping is also centralized. I don't
> know any specifics. Tor does have obfsproxy (and bridges) to handle
> blocking, which seems conceptually equivalent to a darknet node
> connecting to a peer which connects to the wider network. [0][1]

Right. These are somewhat harder to block than our opennet seed nodes, because
there are more of them, and you have to use a unique email address to get them.
But they are pretty easy to harvest nonetheless for only a very small cost. We
could do something similar, but anything like this is going to be possible to
harvest and block reasonably cheaply.

Also they had a protocol exploit that let the chinese block all of them, I'm
sure that's fixed now, but it's something we discussed in 2000!

On Tuesday 30 Jul 2013 21:40:24 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 02:58 PM, Robert Hailey wrote:
> >
> > On 2013/07/30 (Jul), at 1:21 PM, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> >
> >> Too long? Too honest? IMHO we need to err on the side of honesty.
> >
> > IMO it is missing a few Tor downers.
>
> Good points.
>
> > (1) people can & have run "exit nodes" to collect passwords
>
> Could be framed as "attacks on unencrypted connections are still easy."
> Is it valid to say that in general usage getting someone to proxy
> through your machine (to abuse their connection) is more difficult than
> getting them to use your Tor exit node?

True.

> > (2) Tor generally uses only 3 hops (e.g. easier Sybil & traffic analysis)
>
> Is correlation between activity on the same circuit also relevant?

This is dubious. Right now we use no tunnels at all. PISCES will use longish
tunnels during setup, but shorten them a bit after that (how much is to be
determined, there's a tradeoff between tunnel performance and how many hops of
the local darknet you see IP addresses for). Opennet will probably use short
tunnels eventually.

> > (3) people can & have been busted using Tor-hosted services
>
> Would it be appropriate to link to the "Hidden Services need some love"
> post for more details? [0]

Probably. This boils down to it being hard to configure a web server correctly
to sit behind a hidden service - surely there are packaged solutions by now?