On Monday 12 Aug 2013 20:34:39 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> On 08/10/2013 06:48 AM, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > On Friday 09 Aug 2013 22:34:08 Steve Dougherty wrote:
> >> This week I've been working on refinements in the command line
> >> tools, and planning a more usable protocol to communicate with the
> >> DVCS UI plugin.
> >>
> >> I added tracking for the last seen edition of repository lists.
> >> This prevents repository lists always fetching edition 0, which can
> >> result in an old version or a failure to fetch. However, there is
> >> still an initial fetch from edition 0. One solution to this is
> >> setting a WoT property that contains the repository list edition,
> >> but currently updating a property triggers an immediate trust list
> >> insert, which is not appropriate for something that could be
> >> updated quite often. There is a bug filed to make this optional.
> >> [0]
> >
> > Do you do a search (/-<known edition>/)?
>
> No, just /known-edition/, which starts at 0. I remembered incorrectly
> that this would search. It should be a search, yes.
>
> Do you know if searches still give redirection messages? For the latest
> known edition lists to be kept up to date these are important, as the
> actual fetched edition is not otherwise returned, as far as I can tell.

Yes, it will redirect. Although subscribing to the USK, via FCP or within
Freenet, would be better.

> [snip]
> >> At a higher level, I'm adding these DVCS UI plugin features:
> >>
> >> Initial:
> >> 1. List repositories published by an identity.
> >> 2. Select a remote and local repository and send a pull request.
> >> 3. Subscribe to a repository list to be notified about updates.
> >
> > You mean by Freemail? Or locally generated? I don't use commit email
> > lists nowadays, it's better to get notified directly by the DVCS,
> > i.e. we can have such mails but they should be generated locally by
> > the client watching the repo?
>
> I have trouble understanding your question, but I think the answer is
> that this is locally-generated notification by virtue of a new USK
> edition of a repository list. This notification would be displayed in
> the web interface.

Sorry, I misunderstood "subscribe to a repository list" as meaning a mailing
list. We used to have a mailing list to which diffs were automatically posted.
This is not actually a secure means of doing code review, since it's generated
centrally, rather than from the repo.

If notifications are generated locally from a list of repo's to watch, and are
shown on the web UI (or indeed through Freemail), that's good

> >> Full-Featured GitHub/Bitbucket clone:
> >> 4. Display notes other identities have set on repositories.
> >> These are not comment threads, and each identity sets its own
> >> independently.
> >
> > Other identities have set on their own repositories?
>
> Other identities have set on any repository - either their own or those
> of others. This would mean the plugin could be set to publish state that
> includes these notes.

You'd need to advertise these ... And the github version is effectively a
comment thread; you can reply to a commit or you can reply to a reply. In which
case it's a more specific case of the general
message-threads-linked-to-something-else (e.g. a flog) problem, although the
reply threads should be short most of the time...