On Aug 18, 2015 11:17 AM, "xor" <x...@freenetproject.org> wrote:

> On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:03:29 PM Steve Dougherty wrote:
> > > Also, is this usable for plugins, too?
> >
> > It seems desirable to have it generic enough to do so, but I'm not sure
> > it's in the initial scope.
>
> We've had 2 continuous WOT builds fail to be released due to issues which
were
> not detected during testing but only when you tried to deploy them.
> This sounds like the manual JAR ZIPs I publish don't get enough testers :|
> (and like I should setup a compilation environment similar to the release
> environment you use :| Sorry for not having done that yet.)
>
> Also, I'm increasingly feeling like having to deal with plugin deployment
is
> too much of a burden for you, and I don't want to stress you with it.
> Especially now that the release cycle of WOT will be much shorter since
> everyone was so unhappy about the huge delays.
>
> So it would be really nice if update channels included plugins.

iirc using an USK for plugin address allows updates for plugins separate
from fred builds. Heck, I seem to recall it being fixed to work on even
Windows by just clicking the 'reload plugin' button. Windows had been
bugged because of files not be closed on plugin unload but that was fixed
6? 12? months ago. I know I tested it with Sone and was impressed.

For now XOR can gather volunteers to run his private USK for testing.

Ideally fred should include update channels. Define official plugin USKs,
wire in notifications with 'ignore' and 'reload plugin now'.
Official maintainer pushes new insert to the defined plugin USK. Done. 😀

> Fred should then offer some configuration like this:
>
> > Get updates from:
> > ( ) The main official stable Freenet repository
> > (*) Testing releases from developer xor
>
> This would allow me to publish pre-releases to a wider audience, and
cause you
> to have less hassle.
>
> It should include the opportunity for me to:
>
> - update not only WOT but also everything else: I sometimes do file fred
pull
> request. Also, once the WOT-performance mess has been resolved, I should
not
> just consider my job as "WOT maintainer" but "client-application
maintainer",
> and thus deal with other plugins as well. We should really get all
WOT-based