On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:47:22PM +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> The second stage is this: Do we want to write a Gradle plugin to manage
> dependencies.properties? Essentially this would make adding external
> run-time dependencies significantly easier. The cost is we'd need to
> maintain a repository, including obtaining and checking signatures etc.

That's the type of things gradle shines at... The question is do we have
someone who:
  1) wants to do it?
  2) knows how to speak gradle?
  3) knows/want to learn the current process?

IMHO it's the type of tasks for which we should have a bounty. There's a
long-term reason on why the project should have it (Ian has highlighted it
enough), it improves on the status quo (we all agree on that) and it's
self-contained... but it's not a small task, the skillset required is very
specialized (spoilers: it's not just ant that you need to know, we also have
native code... all in all we're talking about almost every single build system
you can think of) and the people who could do it have arguably "other/better"
things to do.

Florent