Hi Jack,

Am Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2015, 13:00:52 schrieb Jack Singleton:
> * Most of the projects I work with now use Vagrant to automate developer
> environment setup. It is widely used, can make environment setup a one step
> process (when done well), and also helps prevent “works/doesn’t work on my
> machine”.
> * In addition to vagrant, having a wrapper script with a consistent name can
> help (such as ‘go’ or ‘manage’). Then instructions just become ‘$ ./manage
> run’ no matter what build system the project uses

That sounds interesting.

I don’t know enough about Vagrant to give an informed answer about it,
but build scripts sounds useful.

> * Test cases are invaluable for new developers, like this one I wrote two
> years ago that didn’t get merged:
> https://github.com/jacksingleton/lib-jFCPLib-staging/blob/master/src/test/java/net/pterodactylus/fcp/PutAndGetDataAcceptanceTest.java

I’m sorry that it got no answer. Since there was no activity in the
pull request I fear that it might just have been overlooked:
https://github.com/freenet/lib-jFCPLib/pull/1

If we don’t react, please nag. We might not be able to answer right
away (most of us have day jobs), but if you don’t get an answer within
a week, it’s likely that we just missed it. Quite a few of us are also
active in IRC.

Best wishes,
Arne

> Jack
>
> On Oct 6, 2015, at 12:33 PM, Ian Clarke <i...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree with the motives of this, but isn't requiring that new developers
> > personally interact via IRC just to get started an admission of defeat?
> > That shouldn't be necessary, and there is no reason for it to be
> > necessary.  It's not necessary in other open source projects.
> >
> > Ian.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM, xor <x...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
> >
> >> As an alternate solution to the Ant/Maven discussion, here's a different
> >> approach to attracting new developers...
> >>
> >> The complex "Get involved" guide https://freenetproject.org/developer.html
> >> which currently says how to Git clone / obtain libraries / compile, shall
> >> be
> >> replaced by those 3 steps:

> >> where
> >>
> >> This avoids the problem of build systems entirely by offering newbies to
> >> help
> >> them personally with compiling. Thats a good idea anyway since we'll never
> >> be
> >> able to make *ALL* sub-projects use the same build system.
> >>
> >> Further, it is more focused on what a new developer is probably interested
> >> in:
> >> *What* to work on, not *how* the work will look specifically in terms of
> >> command line tools.
> >>
> >> The sub-project list https://wiki.freenetproject.org/Projects should
> >> provide
> >> an up-to-date overview since I spent quite a few hours on completing it
> >> just
> >> the last week. I'll also make sure to keep maintaining it, as I think
> >> having a
> >> full list of all software built on top of Freenet is absolutely mandatory
> >> for
> >> being able to finally get everything bundled-by-default.
> >>
> >> Credit for discovering that the current "Get involved" guide is too complex
> >> goes to Steve! Thanks! :)
> >

> > --
> > Ian Clarke
> > Founder, The Freenet Project
> > Email: i...@freenetproject.org

Ein Würfel System - einfach saubere Regeln:

- http://1w6.org