I think it's time for us all to take a step back and have a serious
conversation about where we are, and where we are going.

Our current bank account balance is US$1,184.32, our current PayPal balance
is $1,201.60.

Even at Xor's very low hourly rate (he could get a lot more commercially
given his skillset - which we should all appreciate him for) this is less
than 100 hours of remaining availability.  He needs to prepare for finding
an alternate income source.

We have a new website in the works, which is great, and many people have
been working valiantly to support the project, but it's hard to escape the
feeling that we're almost in a "maintenance mode".   The problem with that
is that you just can't generate enough excitement to attract funding in
that situation.

I will be the first to admit that I have had very limited time to devote to
the project in recent years.  I have been much more of an administrator
than a leader.  I don't claim otherwise.

The weird thing is that, even as a 15 year old project, Freenet is more
relevant now than ever.  Back in the early days we received a lot of
publicity, but it was mostly because the media thought of Freenet as an
"indestructible Napster".  This completely missed the point, of course.

But now the world has caught up with us.  The Internet has been recognized
as the political tool that it is, people see the effects of Internet
censorship in controlling the debate, it seems that there is a vaporware
project almost every week that claims to do what Freenet was designed to do
over 15 years ago.

But unfortunately we are a 15-year-old project, and irrespective of its
new-found relevance, it's very difficult to get people excited about a
project that has been around for so long.

Anyway, I don't want to say too much because I'd prefer for this to be more
of a conversation than a lecture, but I would appreciate people's thoughts
on this.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke