On Feb 2, 2016 3:14 PM, "Matthew Toseland" <mj...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 02/02/16 17:24, x...@freenetproject.org wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the maintainer of Web of Trust [2] and Freetalk [3], which are the
first
> > systems which will likely be deployed as installed by default for
purposes
> > subject to what you proposed with PSKs.
>
> As I understand it, Sadao is interested primarily in writing his own
> incompatible forums system with centralised moderation (i.e. the ability
> to remove users), at least as a first step?

For implementation couldn't users just follow the WoT trust-list of the
forum moderator? Or a custom WoT created by the forum "owner" that contains
the list of custom WoT of each approved moderator? You don't need a full
implementation of computing every trust list of every user against each
other; just a trust-list of each moderator for each user seen posting to a
forum.

> > While I admittedly didn't take the time to fully understand all details
PSKs,
> > I think I can nevertheless speculate the following about their general
> > concept:
> >
> > There are a lot of systems based on WoT already: Freetalk, Freemail,
Sone,
> [...]
> > With PSKs, that principle wouldn't apply anymore, there would be many
people
> > who have access to one keyspace, there wouldn't just one person be to
blame
> > for spam.
> > This is a very disruptive change to architecture and thus would likely
not
> > work with the existing foundation of all the existing WoT systems and
cause
> > their 'core' to have to be rewritten.
> > So what I'm trying to say is: This would be *years* of work.
>
> I agree it would be a lot of work to adapt WoT to use PSKs. Mainly
> because of the complexity of creating groups of identities, detecting
> misuse of owner powers etc, all automatically.
> > And we've already spent years on WoT-based systems and they still aren't
> > finished to the point where we can ship them as default with the
installer.
> > So I am preferring to finish WoT and its client applications with their
> > architecture as is, because the users want to finally see results.
> > Rewriting everything for yet another half a decade without having any
> > officially-installed-by-default forum system is not an option :(
> > And especially: The bugtracker contains sufficient ideas to make WoT
and the
> > apps based on it scalable, so there doesn't seem to be a need to pull
out the
> > optimization which PSKs are just yet. It is a lot more complex than the
known
> > optimizations, since it requires throwing everything we have away. The
known
> > ones would just improve upon systems as they are, they don't require as
much
> > work.
>
> I don't see why it would require "throwing everything away". In any
> case, Sadao is perfectly entitled to build his own forums system. But as
> I've explained I don't have time to implement PSKs at the moment; maybe
> he will be able to. Of course he could work on something else, and that
> might be more productive, but if he wants to implement PSKs, that's a
> good thing.
> > Sorry.
> >
> > I'm nevertheless glad for your idea of PSKs,and it can for sure be an
option
> > some day. Just please not now.
> > I'd rather wait for this until:
> > 1) WoT and a few apps based on it are finished and deployed.
> > 2) it turnes out in benchmarks that the simple optimizations did not
help
> > enough.
> >
> > Meanwhile, if you do want to contribute some code to Freenet, notice
this:
> > Nowadays, at [1], we've gathered a *huge* list of all known
subprojects. This
> > should be a good tool to find something to work on! :)
> > Once you've found something, it would be nice if you could join us on
Freenode