toad <matthew at toseland.f9.co.uk> writes:

> Hi. According to localhost:8889, my (severely borken) node has 9 references.
> The top 6 have CP = 1.0 and have never been contacted. I am running with
> debug logging, so I grepped my logs. Four of them don't appear at all, ever,
> anywhere in the log (for today). Node has been running for about 8 hours, with
> heavy insertions (mostly failed). Surely this is a bug in Fred?

The reason you have nodes with high CP that haven't been contacted is
that fred already punished them (by not talking to them for a while),
and is trying to make sure they're still down.  If we left their CPs
low, it'd practically never try to talk to them again.

As for why your node is so crappy: it hasn't found even a couple good
nodes to talk to.  The best way I detect this is by requesting
non-existent keys at varying HTL and seeing how long it takes/how high
of a HTL I can get a DNF instead of a RNF.

The best way to fix this is to seed with more good nodes.  When I have
to take down my node, almost always the datastore is corrupted and I
have to lose all my references.  When I do, I'm in the same boat as
you; I just start over with all the refs that are in CVS
(Freenet/contrib/test) and hope that they are working.  (My node is
among those in CVS, and I do my best to keep it up, just sometimes it
locks itself up or is swamped with requests.)

One observation: the curent code deletes references that have been bad
for over an hour. (yeah, I agree this time limit is way too strict,
but anyway...)  Because you still have the bad refs, that leads me to
surmise you're still running old node code.  Try downloading a newer
snapshot (one from the last couple days should do) and using it.

Thelema
(without GPG due to crash)