On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:13:41AM -0600, Edgar Friendly wrote:
> toad <matthew at toseland.f9.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hi. According to localhost:8889, my (severely borken) node has 9 references.
> > The top 6 have CP = 1.0 and have never been contacted. I am running with
> > debug logging, so I grepped my logs. Four of them don't appear at all, ever,
> > anywhere in the log (for today). Node has been running for about 8 hours,
> > with
> > heavy insertions (mostly failed). Surely this is a bug in Fred?
>
> The reason you have nodes with high CP that haven't been contacted is
> that fred already punished them (by not talking to them for a while),
> and is trying to make sure they're still down.  If we left their CPs
> low, it'd practically never try to talk to them again.
Hmmm. How is this recorded?

> As for why your node is so crappy: it hasn't found even a couple good
> nodes to talk to.  The best way I detect this is by requesting
> non-existent keys at varying HTL and seeing how long it takes/how high
> of a HTL I can get a DNF instead of a RNF.
It has one, but not so good. RNFs dominate DNFs.

> The best way to fix this is to seed with more good nodes.  When I have
> to take down my node, almost always the datastore is corrupted and I
> have to lose all my references.  When I do, I'm in the same boat as
> you; I just start over with all the refs that are in CVS
> (Freenet/contrib/test) and hope that they are working.  (My node is
> among those in CVS, and I do my best to keep it up, just sometimes it
> locks itself up or is swamped with requests.)
It has 37 files in a 1.8GB datastore, having run for weeks with daily inserts
of smallish files, and lots of requests. So I suspect datastore damage.
Is it possible to reset the datastore and keep the same public key/port?

> One observation: the curent code deletes references that have been bad
> for over an hour. (yeah, I agree this time limit is way too strict,
> but anyway...)  Because you still have the bad refs, that leads me to
> surmise you're still running old node code.  Try downloading a newer
> snapshot (one from the last couple days should do) and using it.
It is updated daily from
http://www.freenetproject.org/snapshots/freenet-latest.jar ... is this up to
date?

--
The road to Tycho is paved with good intentions