On Sunday 16 December 2001 10:01 pm, Benjamin Coates wrote:
> Oook.  So, we become portable by re-defining portability to be what
> we were going to code to anyway.  That must make things easier.
>
> --
> Benjamin Coates
>
> P.S. It's really OK to admit that you don't know how to do Win32.

True; but a little history.

I do Windows programming *mostly* for professional reasons (ie. $$),
and have coded Win32 for a few years.  I've written nt services, com
and the newer com+ components, active server pages (bleh), and
office/vba apps.

Windows and especially msvc do not make it easy to develop portable
applications.  I don't like the feel of msvc (haven't used it in a few
years admittedly); I do like borland's tools, but the places I work for
rarely do anything non-ms.  Of course both these cost money.

Since the aim of fcptools is a portable library to encourage freenet
client-writing, I've done work according to these lines.

There is no need to write code that forks on compilation depending on
the operating system; there are tools that do this determination for
people like us.  The code then becomes easier to read and enhance upon.

Windows users who wish to code fcptools should install Cygwin, another
freely available toolset.  I have it installed here via dual boot.
Check cvs and you'll see pre-compiled win executables.

Now I use Linux for all gpl programming, since I can use it to
create X programs that also work on Windows (C++/Qt).  This is what I
have in mind for a Freeweb-type gui client that works on X and Win
under one codebase.

As far as that patch is concerned, I already informed him it was good
and I would commit it.

.fin

--
Jay Oliveri (Locke)                          "In the land of the blind,
System Architect                              the one-eyed man is king."