The new load balancing code is a very good thing indeed, but I doubt it will
save individual nodes from massive overload.

Has anyone conclusively figured out the CPU usage issue?

I suspect that there might have been a regression somewhere between 600 and
603, however, it is impossible to test on the public network under the
present conditions.

Also, it seems like we need some mechanism to shut down the node under
massive overload ("Seppuku mode"?).  I doubt that my PII 233 node was doing
much for the network as the the inbound connection rate exceeded 30K an hour
and the load average hovered around 70.

I don't understand why my node keeps trying to process requests.
It used to be that the node would just stop accepting connections when the
number of threads exceeded some ridiculous number.  Is that code still there?
Also is the number of threads still used to decide when to reject requests?

Finally what about rate limiting Announcement requests?  Aren't announcements
quite expensive for the node to process?

Just some thoughts.

--gj