On Saturday 25 January 2003 22:47, you wrote:

> > > I agree - that is what plugin architectures are for.
> >
> > What do you mean?
> >
> > When you add a servlet to the mainport configuration setting you are
> > running it in fred's JVM.
> > Where else are people plugging things in?
>
> Well, I thought you were worried about something running in Fred's JVM
> by default.
When you next talk to the press and mention Freenet as a replacement for
internet radio (which it is not), everyone will turn it on and try to run it
for a while until the network collapses.

> Surely it is better to have one instance of the JVM
> running, rather than two?

No.

You don't want fred to have to compete with code that is running continuous
FEC decoding in the same JVM.   Perhaps your machine is so powerful that you
haven't noticed, but we can't get fred to run with reasonable CPU usage *all
by itself*.

0) If the code runs in it's own JVM then when it crashes it doesn't take down
fred.

1)Fred has the help of the OS scheduler in competing with it for resources.

2)If all requests go over FCP fred can better defend itself from clients that
make unreasonable requests.

--gj