On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 13:34, Edward J. Huff wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 12:56, Mark J Roberts wrote:
> > If you entangle your file with my illegal document, which is later
> > suppressed, you have nobody to blame but yourself when your file
> > must be reinserted. It's sort of like announcing that you intend to
> > jump off a cliff unless I give you a million dollars. I have no
> > legal obligation to keep you from jumping.

To amplify further, when you start inserting your illegal
document, what you insert is two new random files.  Some time
later, you insert a formula for your document into a circulating
stream of formulas.  Meanwhile, the random bits you inserted
may well be used in the formula for other documents.

One of the files is actually random.  The other is indistinguishable
from being random.  No one can tell which is which.  They can
only produce the document when combined with other files according
to a formula which includes encryption keys.  Meanwhile, they
can produce other documents when used with other formulas.

So suppression has to be aimed at the very small formula instead
of at the large random files.  But distributing very small
files is a lot easier, and the big files can be routed efficiently
to specialized nodes.  Redundant storage is accomplished by
storing the same file under different formulas, and it is
never necessary to store a particular file anywhere but
at its one specialized node.  Loss of a node does not cause
loss of content (even though there is only one permanent copy
of any given file) because the content can be reconstructed
from many different sets of files.

> The idea is your illegal document would have been entangled
> with other legal documents. [...]

-- Ed Huff