On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:34:09PM -0400, Edward J. Huff wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 12:56, Mark J Roberts wrote:
> > Edward J. Huff:
> > > Also, this idea addresses the node specialization problem by
> > > separating the routing problem from the defense against attack
> > > on specific content.  The defense problem is moved out of the
> > > freenet protocol to the application, removing some constraints
> > > and making it easier to solve the routing problem.
> >
> > If you entangle your file with my illegal document, which is later
> > suppressed, you have nobody to blame but yourself when your file
> > must be reinserted. It's sort of like announcing that you intend to
> > jump off a cliff unless I give you a million dollars. I have no
> > legal obligation to keep you from jumping.
>
> The idea is your illegal document would have been entangled
> with other legal documents.  Note of the CHK files would be
> usable by themselves (or at least, those which are wouldn't
> be used for entanglement).  Every CHK would be entangled into
> lots of different documents, so none of them could be
> suppressed.  The thing which could be suppressed would be
> the formula for the illegal document, but by the time the
> owner learns the formula, there is another one he doesn't
> know and can't ask for its suppression.

Nice in theory, but in practice, how do you distribute the new formulas?

Also see my mail w.r.t. the mechanism for finding random CHKs to
entangle with - we don't want to provide a method to return the key
closest to a given key, it could be used for rather nasty datastore
probing. We could perhaps provide a request random key in given size
range command, but again it might allow some nasty probing attacks.