Windows 2000, sp3, all the patches and all the toys
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM   JVM Version1.4.1_02-b06

What I did:
1.  Without any onions, fred says

Unable to find native library for fec8
Unable to find native library for fec16

[Interesting that it searches for fec8 in preference to fec16.  Ok, not very
interesting at all.  However see later]

2.  With fec-win32.jar copied into U:\A_FREENET_DIRECTORY (names have been
changed to protect the innocent) and the following modification to
flaunch.ini:

Classpath Extra="U:\A_FREENET_DIRECTORY\fec-win32.jar"

then I get the following message in freenet.log when trying to download a
splitfile:

M:\home\user\.onionnetworks\lib\win32\fec16.dll: Attempt to access invalid
address

[Curious non?  I would expect a 'Found native library for fec8' message
and/or a 'Found native library for fec16' message before finding an error
message from fec16.dll, given that Fred uses/should use fec8 in preference
to fec16].

What does it mean?  Am I crazy in the coconuts?

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/freenet/Contrib/fecimpl/onion/alien/fec-1.0.3.zip