On 12/14/07, Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > You're almost there! Your Freenet installation is almost complete.
> > Freenet is currently running in insecure mode, which allows you to get
> > up and running on the Freenet network, but isn't very secure.
> > It is (relatively) easy for an attacker to find out that you are running
> > a node, connect to it, or even trace your requests.
> >
> > You can dramatically improve your security by adding connections to
> > people you trust through the Friends page.
> > When you have at least 10 Friends, please turn off insecure mode and
> > your node will become invisible to the outside world.
>
> That's not bad, although obviously it's longer. Ian? Anyone?

I agree with the intent, but I'm just not sure this will achieve
anything in practice.  "When you have at least 10 friends"? I'm sure
they probably already have 10 friends, the problem is that they aren't
Freenet users.  This could simply lead to a repeat of #freenet-refs,
where the definition of "friend" becomes someone, anyone, not found
through the opennet mechanism.

We can't ask people to make new friends just so that they can have
friends running Freenet nodes, because such convenience friends are
unlikely to be much more trustworthy than opennet strangers.

I think all we can do is ask users, that don't currently have
(genuine) Freenet-using friends, to persuade some of their existing
friends to use Freenet.  Even in this case, it won't really improve
connectivity to the rest of the Freenet network.

In general, I'm really not sure how we can make it easier for people
to go from opennet to darknet apart from making Freenet as pervasive
as possible (and opennet is essential for this).

Ian.

Email: ian.clarke at gmail.com
Cell: +1 512 422 3588
AIM: ian.clarke at mac.com