Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I just committed:
>
> "Connect to strangers?
>
> Ideally, all Freenet users would connect only to people they know. This is far
> more secure, making it very difficult for others to tell that you are using
> Freenet. However, if you don't know at least 5 people already running
> Freenet, you can choose to connect to strangers. You can always add
> connections to your friends later, and eventually turn off insecure mode so
> your node only connects to your Friends, but please read the warning below.
>
> Do you know anyone already using Freenet?
>
> No, I want the node to automatically find strangers to connect to.
> Yes, I have at least 5 friends already using Freenet and I will add their
> details on the Friends page.
>
> Warning!
> If Freenet is illegal where you live, or if you are using it to access
> materials that may get you into trouble, telling the node to automatically
> connect to strangers may be dangerous as it makes life much easier for an
> attacker. Freenet is still experimental, and we offer no guarantees about
> security."
>
> IMHO this is a bit long, can we express the same facts in fewer words without
> reducing clarity?

How about something like this:

"Allow connections to strangers?

To run Freenet, you must connect to at least five other nodes.  These
should ideally be run by people whom you know and trust.  If you don't
know enough friends running Freenet, you can choose to connect to
strangers' nodes as well.  However, connecting to strangers allows
others to find out that you are using Freenet and adds some additional
security risks.  If you want to keep your use of Freenet secret, this
may get you into trouble.

It is possible to turn off stranger connections later on, once you
have added enough friends, although you will already have revealed
some information to strangers in the meantime.  Freenet is still
experimental, and we offer no guarantees about security.

No, I have at least 5 friends already using Freenet and I will add
their details on the Friends page.

Yes, I will allow the node to automatically connect to strangers as necessary."

theo