| On Friday 09 May 2008 07:27, Victor Denisov wrote:
|> | Automatic bandwidth calibration. Other p2p apps have this, we should
|> have it.
|>
|> Good idea. Also, we should definitely look into better utilizing
|> available bandwidth. Freenet's the only p2p app which consistently
|> underutilizes my upload limit (~ 2 Mbit/s out of 8 Mbit/s of link
|> capacity). I understand that we don't want to create supernodes, but
|> come on, 2 Mbit/s is *nothing* these days.
|
| IMHO automatic bandwidth calibration will help a lot with this. Beyond
that
| we're looking at token passing, which may be too big for 0.7.1.

Excerpt from my current node stats:

networkSizeEstimateSession: 6039 nodes
nodeUptime: 2d1h
pInstantReject: 0,0%
uptimeAverage: 100,0%
Peer statistics
~    * Connected: 17
~    * Backed off: 3
~    * Seeding for: 111
Input Rate: 17.6 KiB/sec (of 300 KiB)
Output Rate: 15.9 KiB/sec (of 200 KiB)
Total Input: 4.83 GiB (28.3 KiB/sec)
Total Output: 5.66 GiB (33.2 KiB/sec)

Used Java memory: 122 MiB
Allocated Java memory: 127 MiB
Maximum Java memory: 284 MiB
Running threads: 152/700

So, basically, network had grown about 3x after 0.7 release. My node has
been up for 2 days, and is pretty well established in the network. It's
not overloaded (CPU usage is ~ 5-10%). Yet it doesn't use more than
about 15% of the allowed bandwidth, on average. Automatic bandwidth
calibration won't help - I've allowed Freenet to use much less that my
uplink allows to.

It could be related to the fact that I've only been able to dedicate
about 2 Gb for my store, but I doubt it.

| Agreed, memory usage is a usability issue: the user shouldn't have to
care
| about it.

Great that we agree on this one. I've been unsuccessful in bringing at
least two of my friends to Freenet because they were running into
memory-related problems, one of them going as far as calling Freenet
"that damn bloatware" (well, actual wording also included a couple of
pretty strong Russian expletives :-(((().

|> Shouldn't we consider auto-updating bundled applications as well? Or
|> perhaps providing an auto-update API for use by third-party apps? Just a
|> thought.
|
| Maybe, that would be harder though. I would be happy to discuss it
with their
| authors.

Well, it seems more or less straightforward from the outside: handle
additional update URLs and a set of (revocable?) public keys + expose
the API over FCP. Am I missing something important?

Regards,
Victor Denisov.