Evan Daniel wrote:
> I think flood routing inserts opportunistically is a good idea --
> there's no point in sending out a memory card less than full, and
> routed requests / inserts may well not be enough to fill it.

My knee-jerk reaction was "flooding doesn't scale", but it's actually
worked alright for Usenet - with a couple of tweaks. First, break down
the traffic into channels and allow each node to decide which channels
to carry. Second, flood the message IDs rather than the messages, and
only request the messages you haven't seen.

Both tweaks have disadvantages for a sneakernet though. Channel names
would reduce plausible deniability, and flooding the message IDs instead
of the messages would increase the latency by one round-trip, ie two
days, per hop - message propagation is going to be *slow*.

Cheers,
Michael