* Ian Clarke <ian.clarke at gmail.com> [2008-05-17 13:35:40]:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Matthew Toseland
> <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >> Exactly, which is why Thaw, Freemail, etc are the apps that will
> >> motivate users to use Freenet.  Only developers download the JRE, most
> >> users get it bundled with Java apps.  The same will be true of
> >> Freenet, its a platform, most end-users don't want platforms on their
> >> own.  The solution is *not* to bundle, that is just pretending that
> >> Freenet is more than it is.
> >
> > We have a lot of traffic from wikipedia. We have a lot of traffic from
> > slashdot. For a user to even understand what Thaw is he must first
> > understand
> > what Freenet is. Thaw, Freemail, FMS and jSite, don't have any sort of web
> > presence right now.
>
> So they should get a web presence, we can't reinvent sourceforge, and
> we can't reinvent apt-get, we don't have the resources.

Agreed

> > Freenet is not the same as Java. It's a bad metaphor. Maybe it would be a
> > better metaphor if any major freenet client had a web presence and
> > significant hits of its own, but none of them do. AND WE CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM
> > TO GET ONE
>
> Why not?  It would be a 30 minute job for those apps to set up with Google
> Code.
>
> >, for much the same reason that we couldn't wait for FMS to release
> > 0.7.0. That means we have to do what we can for *our users*, which means
> > making it as easy as possible to get these client applications.
>
> You must think our users are morons if the only way they can use an
> app is if we bundle it.  FMS isn't bundled, and it seems to have no
> shortage of users.
>
> This "we've got to bundle everything" is a classic feature creep
> attitude.  If you think being user friendly means installing a bunch
> of software on someone's computer without them asking for it then you
> have a bizarre notion of user friendliness.
>
> We aren't Google Code, we aren't apt-get, and we aren't Sourceforge.
> Trying to be those things will be a massive waste of resources.

On the other hand, hosting freenet-related projects doesn't involve too
much overhead as far as emu's administration is concerned... And it
allows us to cross-reference bugs in between applications and the node,
which is very handy.

> And of course there is also the issue that we would be installing
> software on people's machines which we didn't write, and which for all
> we know could contain well hidden code to delete their hard disks on
> July 4th just for a laugh.   If we install this software, WE ARE
> RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT IS DOES.  We don't have the resources to audit
> this code, and we can't install anonymously written code on people's
> computers without an audit.

Agreed, that's a big concern... and reviewing all the 3rd party code we
bundle is unrealistic.