On Thursday 01 January 2009 17:20, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Florent Daigni?re
> <nextgens at freenetproject.org> wrote:
> >> 2008/12/31 Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org>:
> >> I'd say lets raise the threshold, perhaps to 40.  The arguments
> >> against it seem a bit handwavey to justify denying functionality that
> >> our user's clearly want.  Upload bandwidth is the life-blood of P2P
> >> networks, we should use every scrap of it we can get.
> >>

> > At the moment we don't use it, we *waste* it. What about improving the
> > payload ratio first?
>
> What about doing both?  I'm assuming we're talking about changing
> constants here - a 30 second job.

Whereas improving the payload is considerably harder.

However, it would likely make sense to have a sliding scale? 40 peers on a
node with only 12K/sec would be madness... IMHO no node should have less than
10 peers, the question is at what point do we start adding more? Some nodes
max out 50K/sec with only 20 peers ...

Maybe:
0-10K/sec : 10 peers
10K/sec to 70K/sec: add one peer for every 2KB/sec?

So 16K/sec (half of 256kbps) gives 13 peers, 28K/sec (half of 448kbps) gives
19 peers, 55K/sec (half of 892kbps) gives 32 peers, 70K+ gives 40 peers.

(These are the most common upstream bandwidths in the UK, divided by two as we
do).

Thoughts?

We probably should get some input on this from a theoretical perspective.