Matthew Toseland skrev:

>>> We don't already have that? We check the registry etc ...
>>>

>> Atm. we check for FF in
>> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
>> Paths\firefox.exe" (Used for various things like the "Run" dialog and
>> official "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\3.0.4
>> (da)\Main\PathToExe" (On my system, version and locale string is fetched
>> from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla
>> Firefox\CurrentVersion"). It's not really wrong as we do it now, but we
>> really should check the official key and eventually fall back to App
>> Path (or path to http protocol handler application, or default install dir).
>>

> That's easy enough to fix within browse.cmd. Although checking specific
> version numbers really sucks - CurrentVersion is obviously better.
>
> You want to just do it or file a bug?

What I meant is that there is a string telling us the version number,
which is then appended to the path to get the final path for the
currently installed version . It's piece of cake in decent programming
languages, but stupid to do in batch files (probably why it wasn't done
in the first place, really).

>>> I had figured we'd implement this in java and start it when launching the
>>> browser. Then we solve it for non-Windows as well. Our last report was on
>>> Debian.
>>>
>> Sure thing! I simply figured nobody had the time so I thought I might as
>> well do what I could.
>>

> This is true, sadly. But we do need a fix for non-Windows too. And if it's
> written in java it's easier to maintain.

I agree! Up to you guys...

>>> Not possible, as we've discussed.
>>>
>> It is not? We should be able to check if a system service is running
>> even as a low-access user, and if not, at least warn about it (instead
>> of failing miserably with a "server not found" error in FF).
>>

> Granted we could warn the user yes.

Relatively simply to do in a launcher and simple message boxes / etc.

>> We most likely cannot comply with the EULA though:
>>
>> "1.    GRANT OF LICENSE.  Provided that you comply with all terms and
>> conditions of this EULA, Microsoft grants you a personal, nonexclusive,
>> royalty-free license to install and use the Software.  You may install
>> and use the Software on an unlimited number of computers so long as you
>> are the only individual or entity using the Software."
>>

> Hmmm, curious, given the multi-user UI optimisations in Windows XP ...

You can probably find loads of those kind of contradictions in
Microsoft's licenses :-/

- Zero3