On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Zero3 <zero3 at zerosplayground.dk> wrote:
> Daniel Cheng skrev:

>>> Atm. we check for FF in
>>> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
>>> Paths\firefox.exe" (Used for various things like the "Run" dialog and
>>> official "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\3.0.4
>>> (da)\Main\PathToExe" (On my system, version and locale string is fetched
>>> from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Mozilla
>>> Firefox\CurrentVersion"). It's not really wrong as we do it now, but we
>>> really should check the official key and eventually fall back to App
>>> Path (or path to http protocol handler application, or default install dir).

>>> Sure thing! I simply figured nobody had the time so I thought I might as
>>> well do what I could.

>>> It is not? We should be able to check if a system service is running
>>> even as a low-access user, and if not, at least warn about it (instead
>>> of failing miserably with a "server not found" error in FF).
>>>
>>> I Googled around a bit, and it appears that it is actually possible to
>>> give low-access users access to start and stop a specific service:
>>> http://www.eventlogblog.com/blog/2007/11/setting-service-permissions-wi.html
>>>
>>> We most likely cannot comply with the EULA though:
>>>
>>> "1.    GRANT OF LICENSE.  Provided that you comply with all terms and
>>>
>> [....]
>>
>> sc.exe , which is included scince windows 2000 can set the permission.
>> use `sc sdset`
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490995.aspx
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/library/aa379570(VS.85).asp
>>

> Nicey. Any command line example? Those docs seems all gibberish to me.

Let's see the windows automatic update serivce:

---------
C:\>sc sdshow wuauserv
D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)
   (A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)
   (A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)
   (A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
---------
each (..) is a permission, fields seprated by ";"

"A"  - Access Allowed
;
(inhertance, not for service)
;
"GA"    SDDL_GENERIC_ALL        GENERIC_ALL
"GR"    SDDL_GENERIC_READ       GENERIC_READ
"GW"    SDDL_GENERIC_WRITE      GENERIC_WRITE
"GX"    SDDL_GENERIC_EXECUTE    GENERIC_EXECUTE
"RC"    SDDL_READ_CONTROL       READ_CONTROL
"SD"    SDDL_STANDARD_DELETE    DELETE
"WD"    SDDL_WRITE_DAC  WRITE_DAC
"WO"    SDDL_WRITE_OWNER        WRITE_OWNER
"RP"    SDDL_READ_PROPERTY      ADS_RIGHT_DS_READ_PROP
"WP"    SDDL_WRITE_PROPERTY     ADS_RIGHT_DS_WRITE_PROP
"CC"    SDDL_CREATE_CHILD       ADS_RIGHT_DS_CREATE_CHILD
"DC"    SDDL_DELETE_CHILD       ADS_RIGHT_DS_DELETE_CHILD
"LC"    SDDL_LIST_CHILDREN      ADS_RIGHT_ACTRL_DS_LIST
"SW"    SDDL_SELF_WRITE         ADS_RIGHT_DS_SELF
"LO"    SDDL_LIST_OBJECT        ADS_RIGHT_DS_LIST_OBJECT
"DT"    SDDL_DELETE_TREE        ADS_RIGHT_DS_DELETE_TREE
"CR"    SDDL_CONTROL_ACCESS     ADS_RIGHT_DS_CONTROL_ACCESS
"FA"    SDDL_FILE_ALL   FILE_ALL_ACCESS
"FR"    SDDL_FILE_READ  FILE_GENERIC_READ
"FW"    SDDL_FILE_WRITE         FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
"FX"    SDDL_FILE_EXECUTE       FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
"KA"    SDDL_KEY_ALL    KEY_ALL_ACCESS
"KR"    SDDL_KEY_READ   KEY_READ
"KW"    SDDL_KEY_WRITE  KEY_WRITE
"KX"    SDDL_KEY_EXECUTE        KEY_EXECUTE
;
SY = System
BA = Administrator
AU = Authenicated User
PU = Power User

e.g. (A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
means Power User allow create/list child, self write, read/write
property, delete,, list object, control access and read control..

if you don't understand this string... just copy the string from what
ever service you have set up already.