On Tuesday 06 January 2009 05:23, Michael Rogers wrote:
> Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > Various users complained about Freenet adding a user to run under. But I
> > really don't see what we could do differently... one user said it changed
the
> > login screen for XP, I've heard this before too, it may be that there is
no
> > solution. :|
>
> There is a solution: do what every other P2P app does. Keep the files in
> the user's home directory so there are no permissions problems. Run from
> the start menu when the user logs in, and shut down when the user logs
> out. Use JDIC to display a system tray icon so the user can shut down
> the app to play games or whatever. I assure you that P2P networks can
> operate successfully on this basis. ;-)

Only because they are over-reliant on both ubernodes and queueing, and are
rubbish for anything that isn't reasonably popular (e.g. look at bittorrent -
for less popular files it is usually hard to find a seed). They are therefore
more able to deal with low uptime nodes.

For Freenet, low uptime is a big deal. Churn is a big deal. Having potentially
a different set of darknet peers for every user on the same computer is
insane (as well as broadcasting to the world who is logged in). Especially as
the nodes could not be peered with one another, since they never run
concurrently; I guess solutions could be found for this.

There are several areas where churn/low uptime sucks:
- Location swapping: We do not yet know precisely what the impact is on
location swapping. Vive will look into this after his current investigations
are complete.
- Data reachability: The node with the data we want may simply be offline when
we are online, and then we'll never be able to find the data, at least not
unless somebody else requests it while we are offline, and moves it close
enough to us that our next request works.
- Download times: Because Freenet is relatively high overhead, routing
requests for many hops rather than contacting the source directly, and
because it is designed for security and tends to avoid bursts and ubernodes,
transfer rates are relatively low, and the proportion of incoming bandwidth
that is used to satisfy local requests is also relatively low (less than
100%). This means that to fetch a big file (for example an ISO) can take
days, even if it isn't exceptionally unpopular. If the node is only online a
small fraction of the time, days become weeks...
- Darknet: Multiply the above by a large factor on darknet! Relatively few
peers, opennet won't find us new ones, the odds of a darknet composed of low
uptime nodes even being navigable is pretty low IMHO.

Obviously some of these issues can be mitigated, but in most cases this will
take a great deal of work which we cannot possibly implement before 0.8.0.
Right now Freenet needs all the uptime it can get.

And I'm not saying that per-user settings (e.g. per-user download queue) are a
bad idea either. There may be options in this area. But they involve writing
a proper GUI, probably XULRunner-based, for each user to run. Which IMHO
should be separate from the node, at least for the time being. And yes,
everyone wants a system tray icon.