On Tuesday 21 December 2010 00:42:53 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2010 15:50:11 Matthew Toseland wrote:

> > > IMHO that is precisely what people misunderstand most frequently. How
> > > about:
> > >
> > > Generally on Freenet you are only vulnerable to the users your node is
> > > connected to.
> > > Do you want Freenet to connect only to your friends?
> > >
> > > YES (DARKNET MODE):
> > > If you have 5 or more friends who run Freenet, you should enable darknet
> > > mode, and add them on the Friends page. Freenet will send your traffic
> > > through them to their friends and the rest of the network. This greatly
> > > improves your security, because you choose who you connect to. You should
> > > only add people you know personally, online or offline.
> > >
> > > NO (OPENNET MODE):
> > > Freenet can connect to other users automatically, if you don't know
> > > anyone on Freenet. However, this is a convenience feature offering only
> > > minimal security against a determined attacker. In opennet mode, the bad
> > > guys can choose to connect to you, whereas in darknet mode, you choose
> > > who you connect to.
> > >
> > Ian suggested creating an ietherpad page for the wording so we can
> > collaborate. Please have a look:
> > http://ietherpad.com/qq8WQKFr7o
> >
> This has gone through several iterations between me and ian. My favourite so
> far:
>
> ==
> People your Freenet software connects to may be able to spy on your Freenet
> activities. If you only connect to your friends (even casual acquaintances),
> it will be extremely difficult for outsiders to trace your usage of Freenet
> back to you.
>
> Only connect to friends:
> Advantage: Very hard for outsiders to trace your posts, files, etc back to
> you.
> Disadvantage: You need at least 5 friends that already use Freenet.
>
> Connect to friends and strangers:
> Advantage: You don't need to know anyone else that already uses Freenet.
> Disadvantage: Much easier for outsiders to trace your posts, files, etc back
> to you.
> ==
>
> IMHO talking about outsiders tracing your posts 1) means we don't have to use
> "bad guys", "attackers" or other iffy or technical language, and 2) expresses
> the key point: Opennet does *not* mean you connect to random nodes some of
> whom might be malicious. It means that an active attacker can find you very
> fast, involving impersonating a lot of nodes to increase his chances, and/or
> by actively moving towards you.
>
> The point is not really the security you have against those you are connected
> to. It's how hard it is for an outsider to find you with your node initially
> indistinguishable from any other node. THAT is Freenet's threat model, and
> IMHO the above sums it up reasonably.
>
> Ian's version immediately prior, which is remarkably concise:
>
> ==
> [...]
This has been deployed in master:

==

Freenet first time wizard! - Who should Freenet connect to?

Who should Freenet connect to?

Freenet is designed to prevent your chat messages, downloads, browsing etc from
being traced back to you. Freenet can only provide strong protection when you
know the people you are directly connected to.

Only connect to your friends:
Advantage: Very hard to trace anything on Freenet back to you.
Disadvantage: You need at least 5 friends that use Freenet.

Connect to strangers:
Advantage: No need to know anyone that uses Freenet.
Disadvantage: Much easier to trace your messages, files, etc back to you.

==

The second page, based on the old network security levels, is a bit clumsy
though. Darknet version:

==

Freenet first time wizard! - Network security settings

Protection against a stranger attacking you over the internet (only connect to
friends)

Freenet will only connect to your friends, making it very difficult for anyone
to trace your Freenet usage. How concerned are you about serious, expensive
attacks by people you don't know?

HIGH: I would like to make it much more difficult for others to monitor my
communications, or I am worried about ISPs and/or governments trying to block
Freenet.

Only connecting to Friends massively improves security, but Freenet will be
slow unless you add at least 5-10 friends.

MAXIMUM: I intend to access information that could get me arrested, imprisoned,
or worse. I understand that Freenet is experimental and cannot ensure security
against certain known attacks, but I accept the risks compared to the
alternatives.

Freenet will be significantly slower than in HIGH, as well as only connecting
to Friends.

Adding people as Friends who you don't know outside of Freenet will not improve
security and will reduce performance!

==

Opennet version:

Freenet first time wizard! - Network security settings

Protection against a stranger attacking you over the internet (connect to
strangers)

Freenet will connect to strangers, so security will be relatively low. You can
add friends later if you want. How concerned are you about attacks against by
people you don't know?

LOW: I do not care about monitoring and want maximum performance.

It may be quite easy for others to discover your identity!

NORMAL: I live in a relatively free country, but I would like to make it more
difficult for others to monitor my communications.

Freenet will be reasonably careful to protect your anonymity, at some
performance cost. You should add friends running Freenet and upgrade to HIGH
when you are able.