On 02/13/2010 04:27 PM, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Thomas Sachau <mail at tommyserver.de> wrote:
>
>>  > I don't accept that, but I *do* support using GWT. GWT is a good means
>> to generate cross platform Javascript code.
>>
>> I disagree with both of you. GWT is a mess, when you want to compile it
>> yourself without binary and precompiled inclusions. So until you can present
>> me a clean way to create a GWT copy from source, i strongly vote against it,
>> this would make packagers work *much* harder.
>>

> Why would you want to compile GWT yourself?  Do you compile javac yourself
> before you use it?  Do you compile Eclipse?

Because i am a Gentoo Developer and provide a packaged freenet (ebuilds). Since
Gentoo is a source
based distro, everything should be compiled from source, this includes all
dependencies.

If i remember it right, there was a goal to get packagers for freenet for
different distros. If you
really want to force GWT as a dependency without a way to compile it from
source, you will make it
much harder to even find people, who will try to do the needed work.
I can tell you that even the current set of dependencies is not easy to
package, but GWT is a big,
complete mess, all other freenet dependencies are a no-brainer against it.

Yes, i do compile javac myself.

No, i dont compile eclipse, but simply for the reason that i dont use it.

>> In addition, also GWT creates javascript code, what about those users, who
>> dont have or want to use javascript?
>>

> Those users are welcome to create a lynx friendly version of FProxy for
> themselves, we need to focus on the majority of users who are happy to use
> javascript.
>
> Ian.

Uh, i thought, freenet was about a way to securely and anonymously send and get
data. If your target
on those people, who want that, then you should also remember that there have
been enough issues
with javascripts (exploits and other nasty things on normal websites), so many
users at least use
something like NoScript, which blocks javascript by default.
I did not even speak about those people, who run freenet on a server and use
some text-based browser
without javascript to access the WI.