On Tuesday 30 March 2010 00:15:32 Ximin Luo wrote:

> ahhh i see the problem. since Bombe's identicon branch was ahead of master,
> when you did "git merge", git automatically resolved this as a
> fast-forward, and moved the master branch pointer on top of the
> "identicon" branch pointer, instead of doing a merge-by-recursive[1]
> commit.

The way you are saying that implies that Git?s current behaviour is wrong.
IMHO it?s correct because this is the sensible thing to do but that can be
argued, of course. :)

> to avoid this in future, use "git merge --no-ff"

I would advise against that. There is no reason to introduce an artificial
merge commit if it is not necessary.

> just remember to --no-ff, and it'll work properly.

It will work properly without --no-ff, too. :)

> actually, never mind, it's OK. i got confused myself too. the history will
> look even weirder when Bombe starts working on the identicon branch again,
> but that doesn't matter too much i suppose.

No, it will not. If work on the branch continues (which is unlikely because it
has been merged so further work would happen on the master branch) I would
just merge master again. Simple and beautiful.

        David