On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM, <cvollet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Okay so you log in with a password (and possibly a username), and then
> you switch between different identities.
> > I know, then we can build some kind of system that remembers people's
> passwords so that they don't have to use a password - genius!  Or, we simply
> don't require passwords in the first place.  We are supposed to be making
> Freenet easier to use, not figuring out new ways to throw obstacles in
> people's way.
> >

> Good point. Without the sarcasm, it would have been even better, but
> well...

Sarcasm is like bacon, it improves almost everything it is added to.

> This identity can have a password too. If it has a password, we encrypt all
> the information of that identity (bookmarks, messages, and so on).

We are going to run into serious problems if we allow people to create
passwords which have no way to circumvent the password if it is forgotten.
 You might say "tough luck", but the reality is that people forget passwords
all the time.

The reason I am frustrated is that the purpose of the UX discussion should
be figuring out how to make things easier for the user, but instead its
turned into a search for ways to make things more difficult by requiring
passwords where currently we do not.  We have enough of a hill to climb with
regard to usability without thinking of ways to make it even higher before
we have even started climbing.

Mark my words, if we introduce passwords which have no way to get around
them in the event of them being forgotten by the user, we are going to have
some seriously unhappy users in the not-too-distant future.

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, SenseArray