2010/11/12 Matthew Toseland <toad at amphibian.dyndns.org>:
> On Friday 12 November 2010 13:08:15 Ian Clarke wrote:

>> > is a
>> > won't
>> >
>> > This *is* a question of usability right? Users are used to entering a
>> > password when logging in.
>>
>> With websites, perhaps, but not with their own software.
>>
>> > Writing usable software is often doing what the user expects instead
>> > of what actually makes sense to us technical people.
>>
>> This is true, to some extent, but I don't think it should extend so far as
>> creating completely unnecessary inconveniences, like demanding a password
>> for no added security benefit.
>
> Yes, but this is confusing:
>
> If they set HIGH physical seclevel, they need a password to unlock the client
> layer - probably including all the pseudonymous identities, but then they log
> in without a password?
>
> This is somewhat counter-intuitive, maybe it *is* worth considering
> one-client-layer-and-client-cache-per-identity, with the password optional
> but used for encryption if present? Then we could get rid of the physical
> security setup...
>
> The main difficulty is what to do with the other identities when we switch -
> the user probably doesn't want to shut them down and stop their downloads
> just because he wants to post as anonymous. So maybe this is a bad idea?

What we could do is:
- either, having several identities tied to an account (so once the
account is logged in, no need for a password for the identity, just
choose which one you want to use); so, with this we have a separation
between the account (1 per real user) and the identities (several per
real user).
- either, and I don't know how or if it is feasible, having several
accounts which can run concurrently. Basically what you proposed (at
least I think), but with the option for the user when logging out to
keep the activities of this account running.

I have a question regarding identities btw: how is it managed when we
have several identities (do the identities share the trust list of a
"main" identity? each identity has its own trust list? ...)