Re: Freenet 0.7.5 build 1397

oo at lkXpu0~CDV6dh0Idyw4MBwkUSgn~h~Bs3qqVXYOXSaY wrote :
> toad-notrust at h2RzPS4fEzP0zU43GAfEgxqK2Y55~kEUNR01cWvYApI wrote:
>
>> oo at lkXpu0~CDV6dh0Idyw4MBwkUSgn~h~Bs3qqVXYOXSaY wrote :

>>> Btw IMO 'recently failed' is very bad for download requests and should be
>>> disabled for one of the upcoming builds to actually see its effects.
>>
>> And constantly spamming the network with SSKs is bad for the network too, so
>> we
>> should turn off Frost, FMS and Freetalk for one of the upcoming builds to see
>> its effects ... oh, we can't. Fuck that then.
>
> It has worked very well for a long time without 'recently failed'.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the recent problems, either the 1389
regression (which is now fixed), or the other problems with NLM.

> As soon as it was introduced it reduced download speed to 50% of values
> before and message insertion with Frost takes forever.
> 'recently failed' was no step forward, toad. It has never been evaluated
> whether there is any improvement. Just because it is supposed to work does
> not mean it actually works.
> If you introduce something it is necessary to verify that it works as
> expected. If things turn bad it must be removed unless it can be fixed.

And we never, ever, ever, have enough data to evaluate a single build, even on
the simplest metrics (see the push-pull tests). I could write a plugin to get
more data, but digger3 promises to do it eventually and anyway I don't have
time given the remaining funding and unlikeliness of getting more. And it's
always been this way!

Our whole business model forces me to just do things and not evaluate them!

Anyway you haven't addressed my point - what would you do about chat
applications spamming the network with requests? Bear in mind that this will
scale extremely badly.