On Saturday 21 May 2011 18:47:58 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Friday 20 May 2011 19:23:08 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > Another source says the whitelisting thing is not deployed yet, and it'll
> > be patchy for a while. We'll see. If it is deployed, then IMHO:
> > - Darknet is essential.
> > - This means we need really good darknet support e.g. FOAF connections,
> > invites, i.e. the planned darknet enhancements.
> > - It will be largely an isolated darknet.
> > - The restrictions are likely to remain less serious in some places
> > (western-owned businesses, places where they operate, sometimes academia).
> > It may be possible to get a VPN through sometimes. It might be possible to
> > link the internal darknet to the external darknet by linking a VPN'ed
> > opennet node to an internal darknet node.
> > - But generally I'd expect *very few* connections to the outside world.
> > - Hence one thing we should seriously consider is some easy to use tools
> > for manually migrating content from one disconnected darknet to another,
> > based on the binary blob infrastructure. IMHO this should include
> > auto-updates, files, and whole freesites.
>
> One other issue here:
> If opennet doesn't work, darknet is essential. China scrambles dyndns. So
> dynamic IPs could be a problem, especially if uptime is limited (it usually
> is). We might even need some sort of rendezvous transport to make it work -
> and that would be vulnerable. Aaaaaargh!

Some inside information, probably very biased and subjective:

Most users are now on contracts. Most of those contracts are unlimited, some
are limited (usually by hours rather than bandwidth). IP addresses do not
change often. Most users have a single ISP-provided modem/router; the contact
had UPnP working perfectly on his. Typical bandwidth is 2-8Mbps down and
600kbps up. The whitelisting system does not appear to be operational at
present where the contact is located. Freenet 0.5 was popular because of
http://freenet-china.org/ (apparently last updated in 2003), which he is fairly
confident was linked to Falun Gong, and relied on Freenet 0.5. After that they
moved on to FreeGate. Opennet works, and usability is the main difficulty, for
instance awkward questions in the first time wizard. Publicity may be more
important than functionality, pointed me to a blog and a chinese language news
site as possible contacts.

Re dynamic IPs, it's an ongoing reality for many Germans, and if it harms a
darknet then it's something the chinese might do if we got some more
visibility; we should think about how to counter it.