I already have all but log rotation and async ready, and haven't yet
found a single benchmark supporting the use of a branch as the
performance holy grail. For example (outputting to /dev/null):

         for (int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) {
                 Log.fatal (Log.class, Log.class, "akd\n\n", i, '\n',
out, ' ');
                 Log.trace (Log.class, Log.class, "akd\n\n", i, '\n',
out, ' ');
         }
}

Every call means, minimally, varargs boxing, another call (since fatal()
and trace() are simple convenience methods) and an isLoggable() check
composed by a ConcurrentHashMap lookup against the class name and
(possibly) a synchronized read on the global threshold. trace() is
filtered but fatal() is not.

This snipped ran in an average 6.482 seconds. If the call to trace() is
commented out (thus removing the filtering overhead), the average falls
to 6.366 seconds. Disabling JIT, the figures became 1:37.952 and
1:35.880, respectively. Over a million calls, checking costs only a few
milliseconds.

To be sure, this is a fairly simple example: it all runs on a single
thread, the hash table is empty and the pressure on the GC is low.
Still, differences are very small. Plus, there's no overhead due to a
dedicated logging thread.