On 2013/07/22 (Jul), at 6:36 AM, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> Okay so the idea is:
> 1. Marketing: the user has something they can keep and use for other things.
> 2. Uniqueness/cost guaranteed by the manufacturer: We can use an online
> service to establish that it's a genuine, unique yubikey, different to the
> yubikey's that have announced before. Then we generate a bootstrapping cert.

Exactly, and there would be other tangible [or even legal] tradeoffs
(non-profit freenet project would not be selling anything, but wouldn't be
getting the money for development, but wouldn't be burdened with making yet
another identity system).

> If they take said service offline, no big deal, because we only use it once,
> on creation.

IMO, the company/service going away ranks pretty low in the implementation
concerns.

> Maybe this is a possibility.

It's at least something unconventional to consider, and you never know... Ian
might be able to use his charm to get a special deal for freenet onboarding [or
something] as it might help cross-promote other yubi products to the security
conscious (e.g. they also make hardware security modules and yubikeys with
integrated smartcard crypto).

> We'd need a bitcoin option as well though.

When choosing a course, we might also need to consider how easy it would be for
someone to acquire bitcoins, versus buying a yubikey, versus just clicking a
paypal link.

--
Robert Hailey