On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 13:28 -0300, Fernando Mumbach wrote:
> Thank you Florent for answering in such a well explained form.
>
> If the subdomain "downloads" is deprecated, how are we supposed to
> get the seednodes for the first install?

They are shipped with the various installers we provide; but that
doesn't help the package managers...

> As of now, the AUR package for freenet is totally broken because you
> can't download that file, so I'm assuming it's going to move to S3?

Or github. Whatever our release manager decides.

> If the plan is moving to S3, why not make a
> downloads.freenetproject.org a CNAME pointing to the S3 bucket, so we
> can keep the paths and everything would JustWork? (AFAIK, never tested
> using CNAMEs with S3)

Making something like that work could have been possible if it was
planned... but would have been risky (most "clients" pin the
certificate). Changing to a different FQDN and hierarchy makes a lot of
sense since all the places that do reference the existing URLs will have
to be touched anyway.

That vhost does various kinds of redirect-based magic (/latest/ but also
the .url and the .registry files) under the scene and that is non
straightforward to emulate with S3. I have sent an email months ago
saying that downloads.freenetproject.org was going away... no one has
objected at the time.

> So much confusion around this issue. I understand 100% of the work is
> voluntary, but this became a mess in no time, and seems like no one
> wants to take responsibility.
>

> I'm still not sure about these:
> - I should be able to update from freenet itself, but what about new
> users? Where do they get the initial files?

Currently from github. The project's officially supported installer do
ship with a seednode file (don't ask me how it's updated; it's probably
not :p)

> - The update script for the new version should be working, but how am
> I supposed to update using the script if the URLs change?

I don't think it is. Fred can update the script in place on
existing/working installs (again, that doesn't help packagers I guess).

> - Has anyone started a petition for AWS non profits? I remember
> reading that some open source projects get free credits on Amazon
> AWS¹. These credits could help pay the hosting services.
>
> ¹: https://aws.amazon.com/government-education/nonprofits/?nc1=h_ls

That's on my TODO (after finishing the migration).

Florent