Hi,

I’d like to start a discussion on the local request protections by
Trivuele: https://github.com/freenet/fred/pull/778 — please comment.

I’ve been reviewing the patches by Trivuele, and I really like the idea
of limiting who receives local requests.

At the same time I’m worried, though. I see two dangers:

- We have less peers we send those requests to, so high-speed nodes that
  actually respond to requests get better statistics. They will get a
  bit less than twice as many local requests than they would get
  otherwise.

- New nodes in the network will not receive any local requests, so they
  will only route half as many HTL18 requests. A new node will therefore
  have not only half the anonymity set against an attacker, but also
  only half the cover traffic.

Also this further centralizes routing on a core of very fast nodes.

The advantage is that this change disarms the attack of regularly
changing the opennet location to do superficial surveillance of many
nodes. You then need to provide actual long-lived high bandwidth nodes
to do any kind of surveillance against local requests.

Please comment what you think. Do we need additional protections for new
nodes?

Best wishes,
Arne
--