Added discussion from FMS:

glenn@Oqb95agYHNenFlHLfHed92ZLbRRs0O4xHihnsmnIDQs wrote :
> What's the threat we are most worried about?

The biggest threat about requests in opennet is connecting to all nodes and
spying on their requests.

But the actual biggest threat is finding uploaders.

> It's plausible that it offers some protection against a small number of nodes
> trying to monitor a large portion of the network.
>
> As I said in a previous post: If the attackers doesn't rely on location
> hopping and just runs many nodes it might increase the chance of sending
> local requests to the attackers.

Yes, that’s what I’m worried about.

> Can we estimate how long it takes to become a top 50% node on average? Hours?
> Days? Months?

For an established node, old nodes in the vicinity will keep a higher
score. Even nodes with only 2h uptime per day will build up a high score
over time and a new node will need about 10% of the time the other nodes
have been active.

An unintended effect could be that local requests get sent mostly to
nodes with a similar location, because these will be found again when
connecting the next time. That would increase the average hops to
content by one hop.

Best wishes,
Arne
--