On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Jerome Velociter <jer...@velociter.fr>wrote:

> Caty,
>
> This is great. I'm very looking forward this.
>
> Some remarks :
>
> - The skin will break the system of panels (in particular the panel
> wizard), since there is no left panel anymore. For me this is not a
> problem, we just have to agree on that.
> - I think it would be a good time to think about the introduction of a
> pre-processor like LESS to ease the customization/derivation of such a
> skin. (BTW bootstrap itself uses LESS for that purpose).
> - This will be also be a good time to re-work and generally harmonize the
> markup of some UI components.
>
> Any timeline for the implementation ?

The implementation could be decided for the 5.x timeline, but we need to
find a main developer to be in charge of this and really evaluate the
amount of work needed.
There are several implementation decision that needs to be voted if we
decide to go with this skin, like you said panels, menus, administration
layout, rewriting some application's layout, etc.

Regarding LESS, Bootstrap works with LESS (both server and client side) and
there is also another project that replaces LESS with Sass to work with
Bootstrap.
This is another implementation decision, since we could adopt LESS or even
Bootstrap or just make a separation of skins, by having a really
"base"/"core"/"api" skin (that in general should contain just the basis,
like typography, grids, reset, forms, etc. and that we would need to write)
and another skin on top of it (that should define the layout, skin colors
and additional styling) that could be more easily changed. We could use
LESS or just expand our velocity macros (to have more 'mixins' like
functionality) and more "ColorThemes"/"Skin" variables.

Thanks,
Caty